BUG report for gpc-20010516.tar.gz

Mirsad Todorovac mtodorov at alu.hr
Sat May 26 18:23:30 CEST 2001

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have to report a bug in your code which prevents your PASCAL compiler to
be built unless -DEGCS -DEGCS92 and -DEGCS95 are all defined (using 2.95.3
back-end). This has not been set by ``configure'', so manual intervention
was needed. I can't tell if defining -DEGCS97 would be better than not,
but I was satisfied (as for now) with having a PASCAL running on the
system!!! (alpha-dec-osf4.0b box, gcc-2.95.3 compiler suite, gmake, gsed)

Fix: define "-DEGCS -DEGCS92 -DEGCS95" in CFLAGS, meaning run:

    % gmake CFLAGS="-O2 -DEGCS -DEGCS92 -DEGCS95" RTSFLAGS=-Wall

The compiling breaks, for example, on conflicting definitions of
the return type of xmalloc(), one in gbe.h having char * as return value
and the other, in libiberty.h having PTR as return value. Other problems
are some conflicting prototypes having const defined in global includes,
but ommited in /p/ source tree ...

Also, never in the installation instruction it isn't mentioned that GPC
needs a smarter sed - this could be addressed by ``configure'' script too.

Also, very helpful would be if the building of PASCAL compiler wouldn't
include "fixing" of C include files again, which takes anormous amount of
time on Alpha/Digital-Unix box.

Thank you very much for your time.

Mirsad Todorovac