Compiled gpc on cygwin but not sure what I have (where is gpc)

Brian Keener bkeener at thesoftwaresource.com
Wed Apr 9 22:45:01 CEST 2003

Hello all,

As you can tell from the subject I am a real newbie to GNU-Pascal but I have an
application I am trying to port to Cygwin and it has several pascal modules
(originally from Borland Delphi) that I will need to compile so I am trying to
get a working copy of gnu-pascal for my Cygwin install.  I tried a binary
install and it had a gpc.exe but the problem there was the binary was for
cygwin and gcc 2.95.3 and cygwin has moved to gcc 3.2 and the binaries were
compiled so they installed to cygnus/usr/bin instead of say usr/bin in cygwin
so I couldn't really use the binary as it could not find all the 2.95.3
libraries for gcc it needed.

I was going to try the install-gpc-binary script but was unsure if it would
shorten the path so it would work if I copied to usr/bin as opposed to
lengthening as if I had installed to /usr/local/cygnus....

So instead I decided to try to compile my own and attempted to follow the
compiling instructions from the Website for gnu-pascal.  I used cvs from the
cygwin site to get the gcc sources for Cygwin for the 3.2.1 release and then I
downloaded the gpc sources from website for gpc-20021128 which is supposed to
work with gcc-3.2.1.  I then created the symlink for p as described in the
instructions and then I created a build directory and from there I ran the
configure line and the make line as documented.  I think I have done everything
correctly but after compilation I am still not sure I have all I need.  If in
my build directory I do a find for gpc - I have the following:

/usr/develop/obj
$ find ./ -name "gpc*" -depth -print
/gcc/gcc/p/gpc.o
/gcc/gcc/p/gpc-common.o
/gcc/gcc/p/gpc-decl.o
/gcc/gcc/p/gpc-lex.o
/gcc/gcc/p/gpc-typeck.o
/gcc/gcc/p/gpcpp.o
/gcc/gcc/p/rts/gpc.gpm
/gcc/gcc/p/rts/gpc.gpi
/gcc/gcc/p/rts/gpc_sp.gpi
/gcc/gcc/p/rts/gpc_ep.gpi
/gcc/gcc/p/rts/gpc_bp.gpi
/gcc/gcc/p/rts/gpc_delphi.gpi
/gcc/gcc/p/rts/gpc.o
/gcc/gcc/gpc1.exe
/gcc/gcc/gpcpp.exe
/gcc/gcc/gpc-run

This appears to be correct except that I don't see a gpc.exe like what existed
in the binary install I did.  I am really unfamiliar with pascal (I have often
thought I would like to learn but...) but as I said I have an application I am
trying to port to Cygwin and it has several pascal modules (originally from
Borland Delphi) that I will need to compile.  I see some warning but doesn't
really seem to be any show stopper errors.

Is anyone familiar with Cygwin enough to offer some pointers on compiling.

Brian Keener
bkeener at thesoftwaresource.com