CString?

Frank Heckenbach frank at g-n-u.de
Wed Apr 30 12:17:09 CEST 2003

Peter N Lewis wrote:

> At 2:35 PM +0100 29/4/03, Prof. A Olowofoyeku (The African Chief) wrote:
> >BTW: a CString/pChar is type-compatible with zero-based arrays of
> >char (e.g., var foo : array [0..1023] of char). I think you might
> >have to use {$X+} in your code for this - but I don't remember (I
> >always use it anyway).
>
> So basically, CString is ^Char, but why then can it be accessed as an array?

BP compatibility (which in this case means C compatibility)-: ...

> Can any other pointers be accessed as arrays?

Nope (at least not intentionally).

> Is this only for $X+?

Yes (if you find another case, report it as a bug).

> >Call it laziness, but there are many such places. I think the code
> >becomes more readable (and a little easier to write when one doesn't
> >have to consider whether `or' can be safely used or `or_else' must
> >be used) ...
>
> Fair enough, I just get nervous whenever I see if (s <> nil) or (s^
> ...).  In CW Pascal, they use | and & for short circuit evaluation -
> anything is better than plain or in my book which no Pascal standard
> ever defined to short circuit (or even left to right evaluation I
> think?).

No standard indeed, AFAIK. But BP and GPC define it so if the short
circuit option is enabled (which it is in GPC by default, and I
think also in BP).

GPC download signing key: 51FF C1F0 1A77 C6C2 4482  4DDC 117A 9773 7F88 1707