libgpc.a (file.o)

Frank Heckenbach ih8mj at fjf.gnu.de
Mon Dec 1 06:09:43 CET 2003

Adriaan van Os wrote:

> When I look at libgpc.a with the "size" tool, I see that the file.o
> section has a rather large DATA section.
>
> Disassembly shows a 50 KB data chunk in file.o filled with (mainly)
> zero's. Looks to me like a waste of space.

That's Input, Output, StdErr (with their internal buffers).

Maybe this will change soon, but for other reasons (problems with
files and nonlocal gotos). The reduced data section may then be a
side effect (I'm not sure if it's really a side benefit, since the
storage will then be allocated elsewhere, on the heap).

GPC download signing key: 51FF C1F0 1A77 C6C2 4482  4DDC 117A 9773 7F88 1707