gpc-20030830 and packed records

Prof A Olowofoyeku (The African Chief) chiefsoft at bigfoot.com
Sat Dec 13 23:14:44 CET 2003

On 13 Dec 2003 at 22:53, Adriaan van Os wrote:

[...]
> I know that the Pascal Standard forbids taking the address of a field in
> a packed record. However, from a practical point of view I have always
> felt this is a rather clumsy restriction, unless of course the address
> is not byte aligned. Some Pascal implementations take the pragmatic
> course and allow taking the address of a field in a packed record if it
> is byte aligned. Is there any compelling reason why we should not allow
> this, except in Standard or Extended Pascal mode ?

It was allowed by GPC in the past. It would certainly make my life a
lot easier if it was allowed again if not in one of the ISO modes. I am
now faced with making signficant amendments to a few projects because
of this one thing :(

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Prof. Abimbola A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)
web:  http://www.bigfoot.com/~african_chief/