Weird type/identifier conflicts

Prof A Olowofoyeku (The African Chief) chiefsoft at bigfoot.com
Sat Mar 1 12:55:41 CET 2003

On 1 Mar 2003 at 19:08, Peter N Lewis wrote:

> At 10:48 AM +0000 1/3/03, Prof A Olowofoyeku (The African Chief) wrote:
> >On 1 Mar 2003 at 16:38, Peter N Lewis wrote: > >[...] >>  In the Mac
> world, this is generally called "Uses Propagation" and was >>  always on
> in THINK Pascal and is a compiler switch in CodeWarrior. >> >>  The best
> use of it is for writing a unit MacOS.p that includes all the >>  MacOS
> API interface files for you in one go, rather than have to specify >>
> them each explicitly as you use them.  Is there any way to get an >>
> equivalent to this in GPC? > >gpc foo.pas --automake --uses=MacOS
>
> Perhaps I was unclear, either that or I'm confused.

You were unclear ;)

> MacOS.p is just:
>
> unit MacOS;
>
> interface
>
> uses MacTypes,MacMemory,Sound,Controls,and,everything,under,the,sun;
>
> end.
>
> So if I understand correctly, with GPC which does not have Uses
> Propagation, "uses MacOS" either with or without the command line
> would never do anything, correct?

Correct. Of course you could do "--uses" for everything used in MacOS.
It would make for a long command line - but you can have that in a
batch file or a make file or a script. It only needs doing once, and
would take only a few seconds. Seems far easier than any alternative
being proposed (including amending the compiler).

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Prof. Abimbola A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)
web:  http://www.bigfoot.com/~african_chief/