Weird type/identifier conflicts

Grant Jacobs gjacobs at bioinfotools.com
Sat Mar 1 14:21:24 CET 2003

At 10:42 PM +0100 28/2/03, Frank Heckenbach wrote:
>Russell Whitaker wrote:
>
>>  On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, CBFalconer wrote:
>>
>>  > Grant Jacobs wrote:
>>  > >
>>  > .. snip ...
>>  > >
>>  > > Since these uses statements were within the interface section, I
>>  > > presumed the definitions would propagate upwards so that they
>>  > > form a hierarchy. Or, put another way, I assumed the interface of
>>  > > a unit is extended by any units it uses in its interface section.
>>  >
>>  > That would be very poor practice, since it would expose routines,
>>  > types, variables in areas where one wishes to keep them
>>  > inaccessible.  Uses does not, and should not, mean export.
>>  >
>>  Not quite. given:
>>
>>  Unit foo;
>>  interface
>>  uses bar;
>>  implementation
>>  uses nobar;
>>  begin
>>  end.
>>
>>  In any user of foo, anything in the interface section of bar should
>>  be visable; unit nobar remains hidden.
>
>Nope. Using `bar' in the interface only means its declarations are
>available when processing the interface declarations of `foo', not
>that they're re-exported.

I'm getting this from a lot of different directions :-)

>As I said, that's quite clear in BP (which is the "standard" as far
>as units are concerned).

>With EP modules, the problem actually
>doesn't arise, since everything exported must be named explicitly,
>but GPC's `all' behaves like BP with units.

Looks I might have to swop from units to modules using export to
achieve the effect I want. After putting units into everything...
sigh.

Cheers,

Grant
Grant Jacobs Ph.D.                                     BioinfoTools
ph. +64 3 476 1820  (office, after 10am)               PO Box 6129,
or  +64 25 601 5917 (mobile)                               Dunedin,
gjacobs at bioinfotools.com                               NEW ZEALAND.
    Bioinformatics tools: deriving knowledge from biological data
Bioinformatics tools - software development - consulting - training
Check out the website for more details: http://www.bioinfotools.com

The information contained in this mail message is  confidential and
may  be legally privileged. Readers of this message who are not the
intended recipient are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If  you
have received this message in error please notify the sender immed-
iately and destroy the original message.  This applies also to  any
attached documents.