DLL Calling conventions and refering to external functions...

Dominique Louis Dominique at SavageSoftware.com.au
Sun Mar 2 14:06:34 CET 2003

Hi Eike and any one else who can guide me,

When using a DLL or Shared object under Delphi or Kylix the headers tend
to have function declarations as...

function SDL_Init(flags: UInt32): Integer; cdecl; external 'SDL.dll';

where cdecl is the calling convention and the external key word allows
you to specify in which DLL or SO, the function is to be found.
Obviously in this case it is 'SDL.dll'.

I noticed in Eike's port that he renamed the SDL functions to make them
more Pascalised. Is there another way of achieving dynamic linking
without going down the rename route?

How does GNU Pascal dynamically link to DLLs and how are the Pascal
headers defined?

Thanks,

Dominique.
http://www.DelphiGamer.com := go on, write a game instead;