Weird type/identifier conflicts

Frank Heckenbach frank at g-n-u.de
Tue Mar 4 21:16:51 CET 2003

Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:

> As far as that goes, why not simply add on a modifier to the unit
> itself, as in:
>
> SHARED UNIT name;

<crying desperately="100%"> Please, not another new keyword!

> That way, programs and other units would still work the same way, and
> would not need to specify this specially (you could still do something
> strange like 'USES SHARED name, STATIC name';

That's already two new mechanisms. I'd prefer to keep it simple.

> or for
> anti-adding-keyword people, a good idea really, 'USES INTERFACE name,
> USES IMPLEMENTATION name', or sim.)

Much better already (syntactically).

Though, actually, it's not qutie accurate. It would sound like "use
the interface/implementation part". But, of course, always the
interface part is used, while this is about re-exporting.

GPC download signing key: 51FF C1F0 1A77 C6C2 4482  4DDC 117A 9773 7F88 1707