Linking...

Grant Jacobs gjacobs at bioinfotools.com
Tue Mar 4 23:43:26 CET 2003

At 9:00 AM -0800 4/3/03, Russell Whitaker wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
>
>>  > Even worse, with circular unit references (which I don't like, but
>>  > we have to support them), things get even trickier. I could
>>  > construct some example if you really care ...
>>
>>  Why do we have to support them?  I thought units were already
>>  non-standard, and I'm not aware of any compiler that DOES support
>>  circular units; is there one?  FreePascal does not, and Turbo Pascal
>>  does not.
>>
>User's Guide, Borland Pascal With Objects, version 7.0, page 131:
>
>   "Because units in Borland Pascal don't need to be strictly hierachi-
>    cal, you can make circular unit references.  ...see chapter 10 in the
>    Language Guide."

Somewhat ironically for someone who has been talking about
hierarchial unit models, I've run into this circular reference thing
a few times in the code I'm porting. I ended up creating separate
sub-units to resolve the issue.

Grant
Grant Jacobs Ph.D.                                     BioinfoTools
ph. +64 3 476 1820  (office, after 10am)               PO Box 6129,
or  +64 25 601 5917 (mobile)                               Dunedin,
gjacobs at bioinfotools.com                               NEW ZEALAND.
    Bioinformatics tools: deriving knowledge from biological data
Bioinformatics tools - software development - consulting - training
Check out the website for more details: http://www.bioinfotools.com

The information contained in this mail message is  confidential and
may  be legally privileged. Readers of this message who are not the
intended recipient are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If  you
have received this message in error please notify the sender immed-
iately and destroy the original message.  This applies also to  any
attached documents.