Pascal compilers for/from Apple

Grant Jacobs gjacobs at bioinfotools.com
Wed Mar 12 12:02:41 CET 2003

At 10:33 AM +0100 12/3/03, Tom Verhoeff wrote:
>Adriaan van Os wrote:
>>Frank Heckenbach wrote:
>>>  I might be a little confused about the Pascal compilers by Apple
>>>  and/or for Mac, since I've never used one of them myself.
>>
>>Yes, it is confusing, so I have listed the Pascal compilers for
>>Macintosh that I know of:
>
>I miss the UCSD Pascal system that ran (very well) on the Apple ][.
>I believe it was based on Wirth's p-system, producing p-code.  It
>had a text-based UI with menus.  A typical prompt looked like
>
>Program-name: C(ommand1, C(ommand2, ...:
>
>Because almost all the system software was written in UCSD Pascal as
>well, the language had been extended with numerous facilities for
>writing efficient system software.  Many of these Pascal extensions
>have survived in one form or another.
>
>We had a large group here in the Netherlands that did wonderful things
>with this system on homemade Apple ][ clones.  These had been extended
>with 1 MB RAM disks (lightning fast).  There were no hard disks at that
>time; only the slow 5.25" floppies for your OS, tools, and program and
>data files.  I still have such a machine in my attic, but I have not
>tried to boot it in a very long time.
>
>	Tom Verhoeff

I remember this too; it hasn't been in mind for a long time until you
mentioned it. I bought an Apple ][+  (or rather I imported a
Taiwanese clone from the factory - you could do that in those days!)
as an undergrad student. You mentioning the menu brings back
memories... but we had better not start down that track! ;-)

I still have Randell Hyde's book p-Source which shows all the p-code
instructions and what they do along with examples of compiled p-code
compared to the original Pascal source. I spent some time playing
with p-code. Silly kid... (me, that is) There was a book with Apple's
ROM code as well if I remember right.

I wish I had never sold that machine. I don't particularly regret
selling the IBM XT I bought later, but I wish I'd hung onto the ][+.

Grant
Grant Jacobs Ph.D.                                     BioinfoTools
ph. +64 3 476 1820  (office, after 10am)               PO Box 6129,
or  +64 25 601 5917 (mobile)                               Dunedin,
gjacobs at bioinfotools.com                               NEW ZEALAND.
    Bioinformatics tools: deriving knowledge from biological data
Bioinformatics tools - software development - consulting - training
Check out the website for more details: http://www.bioinfotools.com

The information contained in this mail message is  confidential and
may  be legally privileged. Readers of this message who are not the
intended recipient are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If  you
have received this message in error please notify the sender immed-
iately and destroy the original message.  This applies also to  any
attached documents.