gpc-20030323 debug info

Frank Heckenbach frank at g-n-u.de
Fri Mar 28 16:52:22 CET 2003

Adriaan van Os wrote:

> Frank Heckenbach wrote:
>
> > Adriaan van Os wrote:

> >> The fsf-gcc-3.2.1 compiler produces precisely the same error on Mac OS
> >> X ! So, it must be a gcc problem, although the source code at
> >> varasm.c:5305 tries to suggest otherwise:
> >>
> >> void
> >> default_no_named_section (name, flags)
> >>       const char *name ATTRIBUTE_UNUSED;
> >>       unsigned int flags ATTRIBUTE_UNUSED;
> >> {
> >>    /* Some object formats don't support named sections at all.  The
> >>       front-end should already have flagged this as an error.  */
> >>    abort ();
> >> }
> >
> > It is most likely a gcc problem, but as I said, a stack trace could
> > perhaps tell me something about where it comes from.
>
> When running gcc ...
>
> (gdb) backtrace
> #0  default_no_named_section (name=0x28fcd8 ".debug_abbrev",
> flags=1024) at ../../gpc-20030323/gcc/varasm.c:5305

OK, as far as I understand it, dwarf2 debug info is stored in "named
sections" in the assembler code (dwarf2out.c:3679). Some object
formats support names sections, and some don't
(default_no_named_section and the following 3 functions in
varasm.c).

The Darwin backend claims to support dwarf2 (config/darwin.h:128),
but doesn't set TARGET_ASM_NAMED_SECTION (either by omission, or
correctly because its object format really doesn't support named
sections).

So I think the error is in the Darwin backend. It should either set
TARGET_ASM_NAMED_SECTION (if that's possible) or not set
DWARF2_DEBUGGING_INFO.

Feel free to forward this mail to whomever it may concern.

GPC download signing key: 51FF C1F0 1A77 C6C2 4482  4DDC 117A 9773 7F88 1707