gpc on IBM AIX 5.3 with POWER5

Waldek Hebisch hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl
Fri Dec 17 02:40:53 CET 2004

Neil Bunn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build gpc following the instructions on the web, and trying
> to build on AIX 5.3 using gcc 3.3.2 which is supported and install. When I
> attempt:
> configure --enable-languages=pascal
>
> I get:
>
> bash-2.05b# /work/gcc-3.3.2/configure --enable-languages=pascal
> Configuring for a powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0 host.
> Created "Makefile" in /work/gpc-build using "mt-frag"
>
> And then the make process hangs, with bind64 taking up 50% of my cpu time
> for a while until I kill it.
>
> In the build directory all that is created is:
> Makefile                mt-frag
> conftest.c              powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
>
> Any ideas how to get this to move forward?

It looks like problem in main `gcc' (however you gave too little
information to reach solid conclusion).

1) Have you tried to compile just `gcc' (`--enable-languages=c')
and possibly without gpc sources? If the problem persist you
should report it to GCC developers.

2) Configure tries to run various commands. Most likely it tries
to compile (and link) the `conftest.c' program. However, it is
important to find out _exactly_ which command is used. I do not
an easy way to do this -- usually process status + messages
printed by `configure' allow me to find a line in `configure'
responsible for given test.

3) Once you know the hanging command you may try to comment out
from `configure' the test. Or, the command may hang because
something in your system is broken.

4) It is probably wise to use newer gcc versions (like 3.3.5).

5) I assume that you have read GCC instalation notes: many
systems require special steps to compile GCC (I do not use
AIX so I can not tell if that applies to AIX).

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl