gpc and gcc backends

Frank Heckenbach ih8mj at fjf.gnu.de
Mon Dec 20 15:23:57 CET 2004

Prof. A Olowofoyeku (The African Chief) wrote:

> I now have the situation where I can build gpc based on any number of
> gcc versions. I have, until now, used gcc-3.2.3 for Mingw binary
> releases, but I have now ascertained that the latest betas also work
> perfectly fine with gcc-3.3.3 and gcc-3.3.5. The question now is - is
> there any reason (other than convenience, etc.) for using one gcc
> version rather than another? Should I keep using gcc-3.2.3 or move to
> gcc-3.3.5? Choosing one rather than the other does not seem to make
> any difference to the robustness of the gpc compiler or the code
> generated by it.

Except for the problem with system conditionals (which is worked
around while building GPC itself and running the test suite, and
when compiling with GP or using `--print-needed-options' manually,
but may still fail otherwise with GPC based on gcc-3.3.x).

GPC download signing key: ACB3 79B2 7EB2 B7A7 EFDE  D101 CD02 4C9D 0FE0 E5E8