CInteger and --delphi

Frank Heckenbach ih8mj at fjf.gnu.de
Tue Dec 21 14:55:06 CET 2004

Adam Naumowicz wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Frank Heckenbach wrote:
>
> > Well, InstallSignalHandler is not Delphi compatible, so you can't
> > expect to be able to use it in `--delphi' mode.
>
> Well, I've always considered the Delphi compatibility in GPC to be on the
> syntactic level only, correct me if I'm wrong.

No, the dialect options affect also semantics -- the presence of
some built-in declarations and in some cases also their behaviour
(e.g. `mod').

> But what you say means that
> actually these new CInteger-s are not Delphi-compatible, and for this I
> can't see the reason very clearly...

Simply, this code isn't Delphi compatible because Delphi won't
compile it (it doesn't have `CInteger' nor `InstallSignalHandler'
AFAIK).

Generally, the dialect options should be used only to make sure
(almost -- there are probably bugs in GPC's dialect definitions)
that the code runs on a certain other compiler, or when you
*require* a *conflicting* non-default behaviour (such as BP's `mod')
-- non-conflicting dialect extensions are generally all supported in
default mode.

(Since modes can be changed anywhere via compiler directives, this
is no real problem for practical purposes, just a nuisance
sometimes.)

GPC download signing key: ACB3 79B2 7EB2 B7A7 EFDE  D101 CD02 4C9D 0FE0 E5E8