gpc-20040516 released

Prof A Olowofoyeku (The African Chief) chiefsoft at bigfoot.com
Fri May 28 15:56:22 CEST 2004

On 16 May 2004 at 23:33, Frank Heckenbach wrote:

> I have uploaded a new beta version of GPC to
> <http://www.gnu-pascal.de/beta/>.
>
> This version contains mostly bugfixes and only few and smaller new
> features. Therefore, if no serious bugs will be found in the next
> fews days, it can be recommended for production work.
[...]

Did something change in the OOP handling? (particular relating to
polymorphism). A test program for my OOP framework is broken. The
symptom is that a particular (virtual) method call doesn't reach the
most proximate object - rather, the method that is called seems to be
from an ancestor object. If I reinstall 20030830 and use it to compile
the program, it works fine (as it should). The same program also works
fine when compiled with FPC and Delphi.

I am trying very hard to narrow it down to a short program, but without
success so far. Every small test program works as expected. It may of
course be the result of a hidden bug in the OOP framework that 20030830
allowed and now is not allowed anymore - but I doubt it.

I am really not sure how to proceed, so I thought I'd better ask
anyway, whether Frank or Waldek have changed anything in the OOP
handling that could have broken the polymorphism. I will, of course,
keep trying. I realise that I am not giving you much useful information
to work on, but it is because I currently don't have any ...

In the meantime, is there a low-level hack that I can use to force the
correct method (and not one from a remote parent) to be called? That
may give a clue as to whether the problem is in my code or elsewhere.
The actual method call is done somewhere in a remote parent - but the
method that is called is virtual, and therefore the call should trickle
down the line if the method has been overridden in a descendant object.

Sorry if all this sounds like gibberish - it's been a long day ...

Thanks.
Best regards, The Chief
--------
Prof. Abimbola A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)
web:  http://www.greatchief.plus.com/