automake, autoconf etc.. missing

Prof. A Olowofoyeku (The African Chief) african_chief at bigfoot.com
Thu Aug 9 12:54:24 CEST 2001

On 9 Aug 2001, at 12:21, Frank Heckenbach wrote:

> Kocherlakota Harikrishna wrote:
>
> > while building the GPC for sun sparc solaris 2.6(native)
> > the following messages are  seen with
> > 'configure' command
> >
> > checking for working autoconf  missing
> > checking for working automake  missing
> > checking for working xgettext  missing
> > checking for working bison  missing
> >
> > will it any way cause problem in building the compiler ?
>
> If you got the complete source distribution (.tar.gz), rather than
> the CVS snapshot, you should not need autoconf, automake and bison
> since the files generated by them are already included. I'm not
> sure about xgettext; AFAIK, GPC doesn't need it at all, so perhaps
> it's needed by GCC ...

In the days when I didn't have a working bison, "make" used to die an
unceremonious death, complaining about "bison.hairy" and "bison.simple".
If you just try moving those files to the "wrong" place, I think that you
would probably encounter this problem too. I can't remember though what
stage the build had got to before the errors (it was probably very early -
 perhaps while building gcc).

Best regards, The Chief
---------
Prof. Abimbola Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)
Author of Chief's Installer Pro for Win32
Email: African_Chief at bigfoot.com
http://www.bigfoot.com/~african_chief/