mySQL

Eike Lange eike.lange at uni-essen.de
Thu Jul 15 18:03:17 CEST 2004

Hi Adrian and List!

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 05:37:01PM +0200, Adriaan van Os wrote:
> From <http://www.gnu-pascal.de/contrib/eike/> I downloaded GPC
> interfaces to mySQL, contributed by Eike Lange - thanks Eike for
> contributing them. With some necessary changes, I got things working on
> Mac OS X.

Would you like to contribute these changes?

> Now, we have an "original work" copyrighted by MySQL AB and licensed
> under the GPL, plus a "new work" based on the "original work"
> copyrighted partly by Eike Lange and licensed under the LGPL.
> From a lawyers point of view - I don't think that this is all correct.

Well, _I_ have done all this, with help from Frank and some
other mailing list members. This is more than a derived work,
so I can choose the license of this work.
All units coming along with GNU-Pascal have this header on
top, so why shouldn't my unit?

> From a programmer's point of view - Please (!) don't introduce unneeded
> copyright claims in interface files, except as needed to respect the
> original works. With all respect for the GPL and the LGPL, I would
> argue strongly that Pascal interface files be left uncopyrighted.

I can't. This is LGPL and if someone needs a different license,
feel free to write a unit by your own.

Eike

--
http://www.gnushi.de/