[GPC]: daily digest (#613)

Rick Engebretson reng at tcq.net
Wed Feb 2 03:56:02 CET 2005

Frank Heckenbach wrote:

>Rick Engebretson wrote:
>

>>Many of the features turbo pascal introduced, that "vanilla" pascal
>>lacked, are part of Ada95
>>

>I don't know Ada very well, but I doubt that. Especially the TP
>features are often characterized by type-unsafeness and similar
>issues. Since Ada's main goal is to be strongly typed and safe at
>runtime, I can't really imagine they added things such as unchecked
>type-casts, "absolute" variables, assembler statements and machine
>code inlines, low-level memory access (FillChar, Move), misusing
>constants as variables, confusion between pointers and arrays and
>sometimes single elements and arrays etc., to name just some of the
>most problematic ones.
>

>>Conformant
>>arrays are a GPC addition to pascal.
>>

>Not at all. Conformant arrays are a feature of both Pascal standards
>(ISO 7185 and 10206) at "level 1". Some other compilers don't
>implement them, though.
>
>Frank

I don't believe Ada was ever intended as a general purpose, commercial,
programming language. But the pascal syntax, and the evolution of new
capabilities closely resembles the dos pc product "turbopascal." That
was all I was trying to say.

Further, before GPC, pascal conformant arrays were not available to me
AFAIK.

Rick.