Linux 64 bit versions of GPC?

Mike Reid mike.reid at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Dec 22 02:05:15 CET 2006

Regarding running a 32-bit compiler on Mandriva 64:
Waldek Hebisch wrote:

> You may try:
>
> gpc -Wa,--32 foo.p
>
> The '-Wa,--32' option tell gpc to pass '--32' option to assembler
> which in turn tells assembler to expect 32-bit code.  By default
> assembler on 64-bit Linux expects 64-bit code.

Thanks, gpc -Wa,--32 foo.p -L/usr/lib

did the trick (otherwise it didn't find the 32bit libraries).

> Mandrake used to have GPC package (they were probably the first
> distribution which packaged GPC on AMD64 machines) -- if Mandrivia
> do not have recent package older one (or one from different distribution)
> may work fine.
>
> OTOH compiling gpc from sources should be easy, so I would encourage
> you to try this.

Obviously I should look into doing it properly with 64-bit code, but in
the meantime I am very happy that I can at least compile my code!

Mike Reid

--
Dr Michael F Reid
Department of Physics and Astronomy