Short Strings

Peter N Lewis peter at stairways.com.au
Mon Jun 26 03:28:12 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I know short strings (255 character limit, 0 index containing the
length) have been discussed to death, and I'm not going to discuss
them further, but I did want to point out for those of you not on the
MacPascal mailing list that everyone asking "Which should I use, FPC
or GPC?" is basically ending up with FPC primarily because of lack of
short string support.

I have nothing against FPC, and indeed the developers have been great
at supporting Mac compatibility and so forth.

But since I use GPC, and since GPC has lots of really cool other
features (like long Strings for example ;-), I'd love to encourage
people to use GPC.  I personally believe the little extra work
required to use wrappers for when short strings are needed is no big
deal, but it's hard to argue that "its just a little more work" to a
developer who is already faced with making a big change in their
environment and code.

So basically, I'm just saying that the lack of short strings is
seriously hindering GPC adoption on the Mac, and that that should
probably be taken in to account when pondering the priority of their
implementation.

Thanks,
    Peter.

--
Check out Interarchy 8.1, just released, now with Amazon S3 support.
<http://www.stairways.com/>  <http://download.stairways.com/>