SDL and GNU Pascal

Frank Heckenbach ih8mj at fjf.gnu.de
Wed Nov 1 20:46:02 CET 2006

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 01 Nov 2006, at 20:29, Frank Heckenbach wrote:
>
> > I find it obvious, that
> > in a case-insensitive language, programs that differ only in the
> > case of an identifier must yield the same result.
>
> I (sorry for not adding an imho in my previous post) do not find that
> obvious if the programmers specifies that the identifier refers to an
> entity that should follow the conventions of a case-sensitive
> language and its compilers.

The entity is external, but (IMHO) this shouldn't imply that the
syntactic rules change to that of another language, same as we
(both) also still use Pascal types, rather than C types ("int") and
parameter syntax in external declarations. -- Of course, it would be
possible otherwise, letting the programmer write C types, and the
compiler substitute equivalent Pascal types; in fact, it would (at
least at first sight) ease header translation, yet it doesn't seem
to "fit" nicely in a Pascal program. (AFAIK, no Pascal compiler has
seriously considered this option.) It would be more like an embedded
foreign-language section (such as 'extern "C"' in C++, which is of
course simplified by the fact that the syntax of C and a subset of
C++ is very similar), but IMHO "external;" is not like this.

Frank Heckenbach, f.heckenbach at fh-soft.de, http://fjf.gnu.de/, 7977168E
GPC download signing key: ACB3 79B2 7EB2 B7A7 EFDE  D101 CD02 4C9D 0FE0 E5E8