indirect jmp

Waldek Hebisch hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl
Fri Oct 6 13:41:32 CEST 2006

Nestor Aguilera wrote:
> I am running Mac OS X 10.4.8 on a MacBook Intel 2Ghz Core Duo, using
> gpc installed from gpc345u2-intel.dmg (downloaded from http://
> www.microbizz.nl/gpc.html).
>
> When compiling I get errors involving "indirect jmp without `*'" as in
>
>        $ gpc helloworld.p
>        /var/tmp//ccz2cAa1.s:110:indirect jmp without `*'
>        /var/tmp//ccz2cAa1.s:127:indirect jmp without `*'
>        /var/tmp//ccz2cAa1.s:144:indirect jmp without `*'
>        /var/tmp//ccz2cAa1.s:161:indirect jmp without `*'
>        /var/tmp//ccz2cAa1.s:178:indirect jmp without `*'
>        /var/tmp//ccz2cAa1.s:195:indirect jmp without `*'
>        /var/tmp//ccz2cAa1.s:212:indirect jmp without `*'
>
> where helloworld.p is
>
>        program helloworld(input, output);
>        begin
>           writeln('Hello world')
>        end.
>
> Do you know what the problem is?

That looks like versioning problem: I suspect that this version
of gpc is incompatible with the assembler you have. In detail:
gpc translates Pascal program into assembly and then invokes
assembler to translate it into machine code. Assembly files are
text file where each line denotes a single machine instruction.
Exact form of assembly instructions depends on assembler in
use (gpc on Mac OS X uses assembler provided by Apple). Some
time ago may Intel assemblers decided that they want extra
stars in jump instructions. AFAIK Apple did not want stars.
I suspect that in Mac OS X 10.4.8 Apple changed the assembler
to require stars in jump instructions.

It is likely that a simple workaround (like installing older assembler)
may work, however since I am not a Mac user I can not give a more
specific hint. I hoped that Mac people know more about the problem.
In the future GPC needs to be updated to handle the problem. More
precisely, GPC uses GCC backend and it is GCC which needs an update.
AFAICS all official versions of GCC have the same problem.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl