CRT unit and UTF-8 displays

Frank Heckenbach ih8mj at fjf.gnu.de
Sat Feb 17 07:09:37 CET 2007

Andreas K. Foerster wrote:

> there is some trouble when the display is set to UTF-8 and my program uses
> the CRT unit. Some characters are just shown as several spaces or even
> scramble the display.
>
> For example I cannot use the german letter sharp s #$C3#$9F (U+00DF)
> or german quotation marks #$E2#$80#$9E ... #$E2#$80#$9C (U+201E ... U+201C).
>
> It works fine without the CRT unit.
> Also when I use FreePascal it is all right.
>
> I've tried to use the command "SetPCCharset(false);", but that didn't help.
> Is there anything else I could try?

Sorry, GPC doesn't support larger-than-8-bit chars yet at all.

(Without CRT, it may seem to work, but actually UTF-8 doesn't
fulfill the requirements of the "Char" type, so there are subtle
differences. See previous discussions on the list.)

For CRT, it would probably require using ncursesw instead of
ncurses.

Frank Heckenbach, f.heckenbach at fh-soft.de, http://fjf.gnu.de/, 7977168E
GPC download signing key: ACB3 79B2 7EB2 B7A7 EFDE  D101 CD02 4C9D 0FE0 E5E8