Test results gpc-20060325 on

Frank Heckenbach ih8mj at fjf.gnu.de
Sat Feb 17 07:35:59 CET 2007

Waldek Hebisch wrote:

> Mirsad Todorovac wrote:
>
> > BUT THE GOOD NEWS is that there are no longer "Killed" error messages, so
> > I think we've found the murderer: it was Linux's PAX kernel extension!
> >
> > chpax has following options, so you will see why it could have affected
> > nonlocal gotos:
> >
> >    -E    emulate trampolines
> >    -e    do not emulate trampolines
> >    -M    restrict mprotect()
> >    -m    do not restrict mprotect()
>
> I wrote previously about nonlocal gotos.  But now I think that the
> problem is with trampolines (problems with nonlocal gotos and trampolines
> are frequently related).  Description of PAX extension makes clear
> that by default trampolines do not work if the extension is active,
> and the affected tests use trampolines.  On other (non-Linux) platforms
> the compiler emits 'mprotect' calls to allows trampolines to work
> (on Linux trampolines are supposed to work even without 'mprotect' call).
> So, the best solution would be to modify gcc so that  'mprotect' gets
> called and to tell PAX to respect 'mprotect' calls.

I agree, and I hope the backend folks will do so. (Otherwise we
could add backend patches in GPC again.)

In the meantime, it seems "-E" might help, or "-p". (You apparently
did the latter, Mirsad, but the former might be less intrusive if it
works.)

>    -P    enforce paging based non-executable pages
>    -p    do not enforce paging based non-executable pages

> > The wrapper is simplistic, it still does something wrong. It does not work
> > in all cases, and I can investigate, but I believe Frank will know
> > immediatelly the solution, provided he has enough time ...

Not all tests use "a.out" for various reasons. I suppose Waldek's
patch takes this into account already.

> > The wrapper:
> >
> > p/test/gpc:
> > #/bin/bash -f
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/gpc $*

Please use "$@" rather than $*. (This applis to almost all sh
scripts, almost always, BTW.) "$@" leaves arguments as they are,
$* does word-splitting which breaks options with spaces (e.g.).

Then add something like "|| exit $?", otherwise you discard GPC
errors(*) (which leads to false positives, and false negatives in
expected-fail tests). (This advice also applies to almost all shell
scripts, almost always. ;-)

(*) Well, not entirely, as the test_sum script is somewhat more
    paranoid and checks error messages as well. But it's always a
    bad idea to discard the exit status of any program that may
    realistically fail (i.e., anything except /bin/true and
    "echo" ;-), especially if it's expected to fail sometimes.

> Some time ago I modified test_run script to allow a runner program: instead
> of running test directly we would call runner program giving it the
> name of executable and the argument list.  This was needed for testing
> cross-compilers (so that runner could launch apropriate emulator), in
> particular I used this to test djgpp and mingw ports (using dosemu and
> wine).  I could probably dig out (or recreate) the patch, but I am
> not sure if such change is worth including in the standard version.

BTW, FWIW, I've always tested DJGPP by letting the whole test suite
run in DosEmu (which is probably a bit faster as DosEmu doesn't have
to be restarted each time), the same might apply to Mingw.

But I agree that in other situations, a runner can be useful (e.g.
in Mirsad's case, or for cross-compilers -- when no emulator is
available, one could even use a runner that transfers the executable
to a remote machine and runs it there). So your patch seems useful
for the standard distribution.

Frank Heckenbach, f.heckenbach at fh-soft.de, http://fjf.gnu.de/, 7977168E
GPC download signing key: ACB3 79B2 7EB2 B7A7 EFDE  D101 CD02 4C9D 0FE0 E5E8