pascal strings in the gnu assembler

Maurice Lombardi Maurice.Lombardi at ujf-grenoble.fr
Mon May 5 14:11:15 CEST 2008

steven.borley a écrit:
> Hope this is not considered too off-topic as it about the gnu assemble
> (gnu-as). I beg forgiveness on grounds that's its Pascal related.
>
> In my assembly code I'm trying to place string constants in memory
> (length byte followed by ASCII string with no trailing zero byte)

You seem to confuse GPC strings with BP strings: the latter are indeed  one
length byte followed by the actual string without trailing null bute.
But GPC string are ISO 10206 schemata, made from two integer fields: Capacity
(maximum length) and Length (actual), followed by the actual string.
And the length of an integer field depends on the backend, most of the times 4
bytes, 32 bits.

  The
> following is failing with "Error: illegal relocation size: 1" FOO: .byte
> ((BAR - . - 2) & 0x7F) ; calculate length .ascii "foo" BAR: .word 0x1234
> ; dummy for this example I could just hard code the length, except I
> eventually want this as macro as I have several hundred strings. And
> unfortunately this part of the code has to be in assembler, for various
> reasons. I assume the error is because ((BAR - . - 2) & 0x7F) resolves
> to a two byte type even although we can see its value would always fit
> within a byte. It didn't seem a particularly unusually thing to want to
> do so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this.

Maurice

--
        Maurice Lombardi
Laboratoire de  Spectrometrie Physique,