GPC support for AIX 6?

Prof A Olowofoyeku (The African Chief) chiefsoft at bigfoot.com
Tue Oct 14 17:08:35 CEST 2008

On 14 Oct 2008 at 16:00, Gert Doering  wrote:

> Hi Gnu Pascal list,
>
> we're currently using IBM's xpc pascal compiler on IBM AIX 5.3.
>
> New machines are being shipped with AIX 6, and IBM's xpc is no longer
> supported there - for the time being, it actuall works (the xpc frontend
> generated intermediate code, and the second stage compiler still groks it).
>
> Management is not happy about this, as it might break any day, and I have
> been asked to "provide GPC" on AIX 6.
>
> Googling seems to suggest that the earliest release of GCC to work on
> AIX 6 is gcc 4.2.4
>
> This mailing list's archive suggests that GPC and GCC 4.2 do not yet
> work together, due to larger efforts required due to backend changes
> (Waldek's mail from March 12, 2008).

Have you actually tried compiling gpc on that platform? I don't think
there's anything wrong, in principle, with using gcc-4.2.x or higher to
compile gpc based on an earlier gcc (e.g., 3.4.x) back end.

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Prof. Abimbola A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)
web:  http://www.greatchief.plus.com/