Stupid Installation Question

John L. Ries jries at salford-systems.com
Sun Apr 19 09:44:10 CEST 2009

How does one go about compiling and installing GPC under Linux in such a
way as to not interfere with the GCC 4 one already has?  I've ended up
installing and ripping out GPC on the Linux side on three different
occasions (always Slackware) because I was no longer able to use GCC 4
(as much as I hate C, it is useful to have a C compiler around for
compiling free software).  Seems that the GCC 3 libraries GPC needs end
up pre-empting the GCC 4 libraries.  If people need exact error
messages, I can go ahead and redo the install, so I can remember what
they are (it's been a while).

I did recently install that other free Pascal compiler, only to discover
that it wouldn't compile my nearly completed project from 5 years ago
(not even my Borland-style units), so I really would like to have GPC
back on my Linux boxes without the hassle of changing distros.

BTW: As much as I appreciate Kevan Hashemi's making a pre-compiled Linux
GPC binary available, my preference would be for a 64-bit build.

John L. Ries              |
Salford Systems           |
Phone: (619)543-8880 x107 |
or     (435)867-8885      |