Stupid Installation Question

John L. Ries jries at salford-systems.com
Sun Apr 19 23:51:11 CEST 2009

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, Prof A Olowofoyeku (The African Chief) wrote:

> On 19 Apr 2009 at 1:44, John L. Ries wrote:
>
>> How does one go about compiling and installing GPC under Linux in such a
>> way as to not interfere with the GCC 4 one already has?
>
> configure --prefix=/usr/local (or some other dir outside the system
> GCC's path) .... ... ...
>
> Best regards, The Chief
> --------
> Prof. Abimbola A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)
> web:  http://www.greatchief.plus.com/

That's what configure wants to do by default.  What I run up against is
that (either) gcc4 ends up looking in /usr/local/lib first and not
finding what it needs, or gpc ends up looking in /usr/lib first and not
finding what it needs (depending on what $LD_LIBRARY_PATH looks like).
Looks like I am going to have to try this again and hope I don't need
help (if I do, I'll provide specific examples).

Thanks.

John L. Ries              |
Salford Systems           |
Phone: (619)543-8880 x107 |