Kubuntu AMD-64 Linux: WHAT no graphics?

Waldek Hebisch hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl
Fri Oct 9 23:34:34 CEST 2009

David Bush wrote:

> I installed gpc and all required or recommended packages using
> aptitude.
> The manual apparently contains no mention of graphics
> output.
> But that's why I downloaded Pascal in the first place!
>
> Looking through the mailing list archives, I find mention of a GRX
> library.
> But when I do a search for "grx" within aptitude,
> I come up empty.

You can download GRX from http://grx.gnu.de.  You have to
compile it before you can use it and for compilation
you should choose X version (other variants are useless
for you).

> All I want to do is create a 432 pixel x 378
> pixel image with over 2000
> different 24-bit colors, all in a very
> precise pattern, a fractal shape as a
> matter of fact. In the time it
> is taking me to find any programming
> language that will let me do
> this, I suppose I could do it manually with
> a graphics editor,
> although this would be somewhat tedious.
>
> I can create a 432x378
> array of strings, where each string is the
> hexadecimal code for a
> 24-bit color. How can I turn this array into
> an image? Does anyone
> know of a programming language which
> DOES do graphics?

You can easily create .pnm file (gradient demo how to do this).
Then install netpbm package and use for example 'pnmtopng' to
convert .pnm file to a more popular format.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl