Quo vadis, GPC?

Hodges, Robert CTR USAF AFMC 520 SMXS/MXDEC robert.hodges.ctr at hill.af.mil
Fri Jul 30 20:50:21 CEST 2010

Well spoken.

-----Original Message-----
From: gpc-owner at gnu.de [mailto:gpc-owner at gnu.de] On Behalf Of John L. Ries
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 11:34 AM
To: gpc at gnu.de
Subject: Re: Quo vadis, GPC?

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, Prof. Harley Flanders wrote:

> OS PLATFORM STATISTICS
>
> Windows XP is the most popular operating system. The Windows family counts
> for almost 90%:
>

> You would think from the amount of ink flowing here about Linux that it
> must
> be 10 times as popular as it actually is.  Note that Windows consistently
> scores about 88-89%.

That would be the nature of this list.  GNU Pascal is part of the GNU
project, which has always been UNIX oriented.  One would also expect to
find in any GNU related project a large number of people who are
philosophically committed to free software, which will tend to bias people
in favor of Linux, which is the single most important free (FSF
definition) operating system.  Also, the GNU project has done a very good
job, over the years, of writing highly portable software, which is of
benefit to all computer users, regardless of the platform
(architecture+OS) on which they work (even, IMHO, Windows).  GPC has done
a very good job of maintaining platform independence, which is a very good
thing that I hope will continue.  I particularly appreciate this aspect,
of GPC, as I routinely develop for multiple platforms and have for nearly
all of my professional career.

I should note that while I don't agree with RMS and his followers that
free software is a moral imperative, I greatly respect those who believe
that strongly enough to act on it by developing high quality software
available to anyone who wants to use it, even though they know they'll
never get rich doing it.  At the very least, they should be thanked for
opening up a software market that had become largely noncompetitive.

John L. Ries              |
Salford Systems           |
Phone: (619)543-8880 x107 |
or     (435)867-8885      |