Latest versions of gpc

John Gordon Ollason john at houseofdeer.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 17:42:37 CEST 2011

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:25:36 +0100, Waldek Hebisch
<hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:

> John Gordon Ollason wrote:
>>
>> Having upgraded to Fedora 15 I'd like to install gpc again, but I don't
>> know where to look for the latest version.
>> I have found a source for gpc-20070904 but I haven't yet managed to
>> compile it. (Is that the latest version?)
>>
>> I suppose that by now the language must have lost most of its users,
>> but I
>> still, occasionally, write some Pascal code, and would like to be able
>> compile it.
>>

> gpc-20070904 is the latest release.  There is development
> version at:
>
> https://github.com/hebisch/gpc
>
> however it less tested.
>
> What problems do you have with compilation?  I have not tested
> on Fedora 15 and there may be genuinly new problem there, but
> if you follow instructions then gpc-20070904 builds on lot of
> Linux variants.  If you do not follow instructins, then there
> is a lot of possible problems.  Without further information
> like:
>
> exact command you used to configure and build
> error messages from gpc compilation
>
> it is impossible to say where is the problem.

Thank you for your reply, Waldek. I followed the instructions that you
kindly provided me with when I had difficulties previously (Wed Dec 9
14:03:25 CET 2009). The
distribution is Fedora 15 for x86_64. (I am aware that I could well have
misunderstood the instructions
so I have been very prolix in describing what I did.)

I found copies of

gpc-20070904
and
gcc-3.4.6

at
http://alignment.hep.brandeis.edu/Software/Pascal/Index.html

I put them into /usr/local/src and

#bunzip2 gpc . . .bz2
#tar xvf gpc . . .tar
#bunzip2 gcc . . .bz2
#tar xvf gcc. . .tar
#mv gpc-20070904/p gcc-3.4.6/gcc
#mkdir gpc-build
#cd gpc-build
#/usr/local/src/gcc-3.4.6/configure --enable-languages=pascal
--prefix=/usr/gnu --disable-multilib &>temp
#cat temp
.
.
.
checking for windres... windres
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
#make bootstrap &>temp
#tail temp
done
if [ -f stmp-dirs ]; then true; else touch stmp-dirs; fi
make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gpc-build/gcc'
echo timestamp > stmp-multilib
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gpc-build/gcc'
echo timestamp > stage3_build
echo stage3_build > stage_last
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gpc-build/gcc'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gpc-build/gcc'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gpc-build'
#gpc --version
bash: gpc: command not found...
#
I thought that it might have been a path problem, but there is no file,
gpc, on the system.

I have been through the same procedure with gcc-3.4.4 with the same
result. I hope that my problem is
simply due to my making some silly mistake.

Thanks, in advance for any advice.

John Ollason