Latest versions of gpc

John Gordon Ollason john at houseofdeer.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 09:29:51 CEST 2011

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:42:37 +0100, John Gordon Ollason
<john at houseofdeer.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:25:36 +0100, Waldek Hebisch
> <hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:
>
>> John Gordon Ollason wrote:
>>>
>>> Having upgraded to Fedora 15 I'd like to install gpc again, but I don't
>>> know where to look for the latest version.
>>> I have found a source for gpc-20070904 but I haven't yet managed to
>>> compile it. (Is that the latest version?)
>>>
>>> I suppose that by now the language must have lost most of its users,
>>> but I
>>> still, occasionally, write some Pascal code, and would like to be able
>>> compile it.
>>>

>> gpc-20070904 is the latest release.  There is development
>> version at:
>>
>> https://github.com/hebisch/gpc
>>
>> however it less tested.
>>
>> What problems do you have with compilation?  I have not tested
>> on Fedora 15 and there may be genuinly new problem there, but
>> if you follow instructions then gpc-20070904 builds on lot of
>> Linux variants.  If you do not follow instructins, then there
>> is a lot of possible problems.  Without further information
>> like:
>>
>> exact command you used to configure and build
>> error messages from gpc compilation
>>
>> it is impossible to say where is the problem.
>>

> Thank you for your reply, Waldek. I followed the instructions that you
> kindly provided me with when I had difficulties previously (Wed Dec 9
> 14:03:25 CET 2009). The
> distribution is Fedora 15 for x86_64. (I am aware that I could well have
> misunderstood the instructions
> so I have been very prolix in describing what I did.)
>
> I found copies of
>
> gpc-20070904
> and
> gcc-3.4.6
>
> at
> http://alignment.hep.brandeis.edu/Software/Pascal/Index.html
>
> I put them into /usr/local/src and
>
> #bunzip2 gpc . . .bz2
> #tar xvf gpc . . .tar
> #bunzip2 gcc . . .bz2
> #tar xvf gcc. . .tar
> #mv gpc-20070904/p gcc-3.4.6/gcc
> #mkdir gpc-build
> #cd gpc-build
> #/usr/local/src/gcc-3.4.6/configure --enable-languages=pascal
> --prefix=/usr/gnu --disable-multilib &>temp
> #cat temp
> .
> .
> .
> checking for windres... windres
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles...
> no
> updating cache ./config.cache
> creating ./config.status
> creating Makefile
> #make bootstrap &>temp
> #tail temp
> done
> if [ -f stmp-dirs ]; then true; else touch stmp-dirs; fi
> make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gpc-build/gcc'
> echo timestamp > stmp-multilib
> make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gpc-build/gcc'
> [...]

In case anybody else might have my problem I am confessing my silly
mistake.
Everything was fine. Waldek Hebisch suggested that I had forgotten the
final

#make install

which I had.

If anybody else wants to install GPC on Fedora 15, the instructions above
should suffice
even for complete idiots like me.

Thanks, everybody, for your help.

John Ollason