GPC git

Prof A Olowofoyeku (The African Chief) chief at greatchief.plus.com
Sun Jul 29 15:23:01 CEST 2012

On 28 Jul 2012 at 18:58, Jay Michael wrote:

[...]
>      gmake lets you put the first command ("line" of the "recipe")
> at the end of the line of prerequisites, using a semicolon to
> separate the command from the prerequisites.
>
>           a: b c ; d
>
> is supposed to be the same as
>
>           a: b c
>
>      The at-sign ('@') is supposed to suppress the printing of the
> command.

Indeed.

>      It looks like, in the building of two pseudo-targets by
> specifying them as prerequisites of yet another pseudo-target,
> someone wanted to specify a do-nothing recipe for the top-level
> target (maybe to keep it from inheriting implicit recipes, maybe
> to suppress a "don't know how to make" message).  So he told it
> to run the program "true", which always terminates with an exit
> status of "SUCCESS".

Yes.

>      I think your real problem is that you somehow don't have this
> program "true" visible.

It is visible. What the shell doesn't like is the "@" sign (i.e., in
"@true"). Just running "true" as Waldek suggests works fine - but the
command line is printed (which is quite fine IMHO).  Removing the
semi-colon and the "true" or "@true" after it also works okay - but who
knows whether it can cause problems on another platform? So I guess we
should simply removing the "@" sign as suggested by Waldek. I don't
pretend to understand unix shells very intimately, so perhaps the best
option is minimal intervention.

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Prof. Abimbola A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)
web:  http://www.greatchief.plus.com/