running gpc on Mac OS X 10.7.4

Kevan Hashemi hashemi at brandeis.edu
Thu Sep 6 18:14:46 CEST 2012

Dear Thomas,

> It SAYS it's supposed to be ONLY for 10.6, but I went ahead anyway on
> 10.7.

I did the same.

> ld: warning: -macosx_version_min not specified, assuming 10.7
 > ld: warning: PIE disabled. Absolute addressing
 > (perhaps -mdynamic-no-pic) not allowed in code signed PIE,
 > but used in __start from
 > /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk//usr/lib/crt1.o. To fix this warning,
 > don't compile with -mdynamic-no-pic or link with -Wl,-no_pie

Ah yes, I forgot about that. I find that I have to specify the run-time
library that I want GPC to use, or else the code won't work on older
versions of MacOS. When I compile on 10.7 I add the linker option:

-Wl,-syslibroot,/Xcode2.5/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/

which of course requires taht you install Xcode2.5 if you don't have it,
and include the MacOSX10.4 sdk. I use the 10.4 SDK for backward
compatibility with 10.4. When I link Pascal to a C program I use:

-mmacosx-version-min=10.4

Now, I would love to tell you how I installed the MacOSX10.4 SDK but I
can't remember. All I remember is that once installed, the SDK worked fine.

Yours, Kevan

--
Kevan Hashemi, Electrical Engineer
Physics Department, Brandeis University