GPC compiler crash

Thomas Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Sun Feb 17 18:59:14 CET 2013

Prof:

> It is a very large data structure (about 490mb). It doesn't make a lot
> of sense to have a static variable of that size. It is probably better
> to use a pointer. That way, it can be a local variable:
>
> procedure themain(var da: text);
> var
> dataprism: ^trisquare;   (* the data structure for diana *)

I don't understand.  What that would gain me?

> But I guess that the real issue here is the compiler crash that the OP
> gets. I can't reproduce the compiler crash, and neither can Adriaan.
> Can anyone else reproduce it?
>
> Perhaps the OP can provide more details for those who are maintaining
> the compiler (e.g., what OS, what gpc version, etc?).

% gpc --version
gpc 20070904, based on gcc-3.4.6

% uname -a
Darwin FR-W-C130981 11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2: Thu Aug 23 16:25:48 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.32.7~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schneidt at mail.nih.gov
  http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms