GPC compiler crash

Thomas Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Tue Feb 19 04:18:24 CET 2013

Garth:

> Just to clarify the differences a bit.

Thanks for the explanation.  I knew about val/var but wasn't so clear
about the heap/stack allocation.  I didn't know that global varibles
go on the heap but did know that calling a procedure caused allocation
of locals to the stack.

So I was making a huge allocation on the stack.  That's fixed now by
using a global.  I'm somewhat unclear why the compiler crashed though.
I would have thought that if it ran out of stack it would give a
warning.  But the odd thing is that when the program is being compiled
it's not even using the stack yet of course ...

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schneidt at mail.nih.gov
  http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms