GPC compiler crash

Thomas Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Tue Feb 19 04:39:20 CET 2013

Adriaan:

> In a 32-bit process, an application can linearly address no more
> than typically 2 GB, even if the computer has more RAM. As a 64-bit
> operating system, Mac OS X can run 32-bit and 64-bit proceses. A
> 64-bit process can linearly address 2^63 bytes, but your program is
> 32-bit as it was compiled as such. With regard to a compiler capable
> of compiling 64-bit applications, see my message to this list of
> 23-06-2011 21:24.

That's at
http://www.g-n-u.de/pipermail/gpc/2011-June/015064.html

I have:

% gpc --version
gpc 20070904, based on gcc-3.4.6

Is there an upgrade available and should I?  Where do I find it?
There are a lot of options available at
http://www.microbizz.nl/gpc.html
and with all the different schemes people use for versions
I can't tell if 'GNU Pascal 3.4.6u4' is more recent than the one
I have.  (Why can't the versions just be numbered consecutively?)

Thanks,

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schneidt at mail.nih.gov
  http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms