compiling gpc on Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite

Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Wed Nov 18 13:31:31 CET 2015

Jonas:

> What does
>   as -version
>
> show? If it doesn't show
>   Apple Inc version cctools-870, GNU assembler version 1.38>
> (you have to press ctrl-c to quit it) try running
>   sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app
>
> Afterwards, try the above command again to verify it shows the expected
> result. Maybe the link between the dummy /usr/bin/as and clang still somehow
> exists from when you had Xcode 7.

1%   as -version
clang: error: unknown argument: '-version'2% as --version
Apple LLVM version 7.0.0 (clang-700.1.76)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0
Thread model: posix

Ok, wrong version, thanks.

3% sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app
Password:
4% as --version
FATAL:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchai
n/usr/bin/../libexec/as/x86_64/as: I don't understand '-' flag!
5% as -version
Apple Inc version cctools-870, GNU assembler version 1.38
^CInterrupted by signal 2

Ok!

6% build-gpc.command
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create e
xecutables.
make[2]: *** [p/rts/Makefile] Error 1
make[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Hmm.

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schneidt at mail.nih.gov
  https://schneider.ncifcrf.gov (current link)