Can I Install GPC on MacOS10.12?

Kevan Hashemi hashemi at brandeis.edu
Tue Jul 25 14:29:31 CEST 2017

Hello Again,

I have a partial answer to my own question. The compiler installed from
Adriaan's 10.6 installer launches and runs on MacOS 10.12. It produces
text file assembly code with the -S option. But the assembler it calls
is the default "/usr/bin/as", which is Intel 64-bit. When we install
command-line utilities on MacOS 10.12 (which is initiated when you first
try to run "gcc", so far as I can tell), we get these:

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/libexec/as/arm/as
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/libexec/as/i386/as
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/libexec/as/x86_64/as

I used gpc to create assembler files, then assembled these with the i386
assembler to get object code that I later linked with gcc into a dynamic
library with the MaOS10.6 SDK and the GPC libraries. So I can generate
the dynamic library my main application requires. But I have not yet
figured out how to compile a stand-alone executable "hello world"
program from a pascal source file.

Is there a way to pass into GPC the path of the assembler it should use?
I am splitting the compile and assembly and link into three steps, and
somewhere in there, I'm losing the definition of the "main" function
required by the linker for the stand-alone executable.

Yours, Kevan

--
Kevan Hashemi, Electrical Engineer
Physics Department, Brandeis University