Can I Install GPC on MacOS10.12?

Kevan Hashemi hashemi at brandeis.edu
Tue Jul 25 15:37:46 CEST 2017

Hello Again,

Failure to produce a stand-alone executable turns out to be a simple
oversight on my part: I forgot to link to the main object when making
the program. Apologies.

So, I now have GPC fully-functional on MacOS 10.12.6, but the odd step I
have to take is to avoid using the default Clang editor and instead use
this one:

kevan$ /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/libexec/as/i386/as -v
Apple Inc version cctools-898, GNU assembler version 1.38

This file has "modified" date April 12, 2017, so it's certainly not one
I had lying around before my update.

Also: when I call gcc, it turns out I'm calling the linker installed
with the latest version of Xcode:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ld

If there's a way to tell gpc to use the gnu assembler directly, I can
omit the intermediate -S assembler step in my Makefile, which would be
nice. But I'm up and running now, which is a great relief. I set aside a
week to figure this out, and it took only a day.

Yours, Kevan

Peter wrote:
> I know nothing about MacOS btw, but have you tried the "--automake"
> switch?  Maybe a generic 'main' is brought in by the gcc linker?
>

> Regards,
> Peter

Kevan Hashemi, Electrical Engineer
Physics Department, Brandeis University