Can I Install GPC on MacOS10.12?

Kevan Hashemi hashemi at brandeis.edu
Wed Jul 26 17:22:54 CEST 2017

Dear Gale,

> I think the gcc approved way of doing that is to is to use an
> external  specs-file with the -specs=specs-file gcc/gpc command
 > line parameter option to override the built-in assembler invoking
 > driver spec.

My gpc is using this specs file by default:

/Developer/Pascal/gpc346u4/lib/gcc/i386-apple-darwin10/3.4.6/specs

> First start off by seeing what the current built-in specs look like with gpc -dumpspecs

gpc -dumpspecs > specs

produces a local specs file identical to the default one, and containing
exactly this line, even unto the space before "as".

> *invoke_as:
> %{!S:-o %|.s |
>  as %(asm_options) %m.s %A }

I can change the default specs file to point to my GNU assembler, or the
new file, or a small file containing only the above, which is nice.

> Copy that into a new file that you'll use for the -specs= parameter option.

That works. Thank you.

By the way: I tried to move the clang assembler and insert a symbolic
link to the GNU assembler in its place. But OS 10.12.6 won't let me do
anything to /usr/bin/as. Not even as root.

Best Wishes, Kevan

--
Kevan Hashemi, Electrical Engineer
Physics Department, Brandeis University