Proposal/question for GPC

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Mon Nov 2 22:04:49 CET 2020

On 02/11/2020 21:32, scott andrew franco wrote:
> For the GPC authors
>
> So this could be considered either a proposal or a question, your choice.
>
> Recently, for various reasons I have been studying the LLVM project
> (mainly because I am
> now forced to use LLVM on the Mac OS X). As I am sure you know, LLVM is
> becoming
> popular as a backend. For example, I believe FPC now uses it.

FPC supports it as an optional backend, and it will always be optional
for the reasons outlined in
https://wiki.freepascal.org/LLVM#Frequently_Asked_Questions

> An interesting thing about LLVM is that they bent over backwards to make
> sure it was as
> compatible as possible with previous GCC methods, components and
> front-ends, with
> an eye to making it easy to port existing front ends to LLVM.

I'm only aware of the the DragonEgg project
(https://dragonegg.llvm.org/) in the context, but that one hasn't been
updated since LLVM 3.3 (June 2013). I'm not aware of it being easy in
any way to port GCC frontents to LLVM.

There was llvm-gcc before that, but that was even more of a pain to
maintain afaik.

Jonas